One would think that being a teacher would allow so much extra time for cooking in the evening, spending time with family, etc. because teachers get off when the kids leave, right? Wrong. Teaching is a 24/7 job (more on that in a later post) and I've found it very difficult to find time to cook anything even remotely interesting.
I have been persuaded by several people in my life to eat more organic and natural foods. It is crazy what they do to foods today and it's amazing how much better simple changes like this can make things... more on that later too. So this makes it difficult when trying to make dinners that are yummy and fast. I also have the problem of going to the grocery store when I'm hungry and simply buy whatever I feel like... I then check out and spend lots of money which will not fly with our new budget.
I've started a menu that works really well for us. I sit down and for a month at a time I create a menu. I spread out Blake's favorites like hamburger gravy and Chicken & Pastry. I then go back and fill in with different yummy-sounding meals that I find online or in cookbooks. I've made many duds that haven't gone over well and a few that Blake really likes. I take these and add them in for the next month. When the weekend rolls around I go through the meals that are planned for that week so when I go to the grocery store I only buy for those meals. It's crazy how much money we have saved doing this and it makes it so much easier when I'm leaving for work in the morning so I don't have to think about what to get out of the freezer.
Just a new method that works for us and may work for you :)
No comments:
Post a Comment