Sunday, August 14, 2011

Couch to 5k: Week 2

We completed C25k Week #2 Saturday morning. We were scheduled to run MWF but Blake wanted to sleep in on Friday (meaning getting up at 9 was "too late" because it was already "too hot"...) so being the nice wife I am we got up at 5:15 to run Saturday. He was not happy but I had a hot date with my mom to shop in Raleigh.

So Week 2 wasn't all that bad. We switched things up this week by running for 90 seconds and walking for 2 minutes. The first day my stomach wasn't agreeing with me so I chickened out for the first part of a run but felt bad about that so I totally finished up running it out. I found myself feeling like I could run for more than 90 seconds (wow!) and it didn't take me so long to recover (and no sore legs!) I have figured out how to play with my mind -- when Laura comes on and tells us that it's time to run I pick an object that I think is about 90 seconds away. Usually it's a mailbox or next street. It's one of the habits of "highly effective" teens that we teach in school: Begin with the end in mind. So that's how I begin each run--it's going to "end" at that mailbox so I can totally do this. Blake always leaves me in his dust -- he's a super fast runner -- but I am catching up!

Several people (yea, you know who you are R & A... B is smart enough to join us!) have asked why we are doing C25k. There are several reasons... #1 being the newlywed 9 (or 20) that we have put on and #2 is that we are lazy farts and we need to be in shape. It also is an awesome time for the 2 of us to be together at the end of the day. I have also found that running is helping out with the effects following a collapsed lung. 3 years ago my right lung collapsed for no apparent reason (although I still claim it was the Chick-fil-a sandwich...) and I really haven't been physically active since. There are days when my lung really, really hurts... like I have to sit really still for several minutes to get it to go away. And deep breaths can be hard. BUTTT this has really enhanced my breathing--exercising my lung and helping it go stronger again.

Blogging about this is helping to keep us on track... Week 3 starts tomorrow. I hope I can run for 2 minutes!


No comments: