Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pre-Marital Counseling

ohhh that title freaks me out a little. I mean really... we haven't even gotten married yet and we're in counseling?!? Being the daughter of a family law attorney there's one thing I know... marriage isn't easy. It's definitely not something I go into lightly because I know it's a lot of work and we both have to be dedicated. She's always told me that the two major things that break up a marriage are a lack of communication and money. I've always valued these things most in my relationship with Blake.

Soo we are required to be counseled before we get married. It may sound weird but it's definitely important I believe. We decided to meet with my minister, Paul, who has been at my church since I was 6. He's also marrying us. I feel it's more important to meet with Paul instead of some random old white guy because he has a vested interest and has seen me grow up.

Right before walking into church tonight Blake said, "I don't know how I'm going to like this." I told him to be honest--it's a lot easier to be honest than to lie and have to constantly cover it up. So we met and discussed how Blake & I met, what our normal lives are like, and our conflict management skills. The number one thing that came out of the meeting was that it was incredibly important for us to continue "dating." This means to go out on dates together at a specific time, preferably weekly. We do this a little bit but it's not a set in stone thing. As life goes on it will be more important to have our dates because as kids and life gets in the way, we can't let that affect our relationship. Our one hour session was over quickly and as we left Blake said, "That wasn't so bad."

No comments: