So many people today have taken the focus of Christmas away from the birth of Christ to the point where we all feel obligated to give so many ridiculous gifts when we all know that we really don't need any material things. And many have made a point to bring the point of Christmas back to the true meaning--something I can really follow--most of the time...
The "Holidays" are a politically correct term for all the holidays that are celebrated from Thanksgiving through New Years. For Jewish people they enjoy Hanukkah and honestly in a way Christians should enjoy Hanukkah too (because if Christians have forgotten, Jesus was Jewish... just thought I'd throw that one out there for controversy). And then there's Kwanzaa, and New Years, and Christmas.
Not to be bashing anybody but recently a favorite MIL (who I truly love so much!) came over talking about the fact that a recent sermon at church had been about the meaning of Christmas. She mentioned that Santa was actually "Satan" because it's the same letters just switched around..... really? I'm not a total expert but I'm pretty sure that the word Santa came from St. Nick... like SAINT Nicholas. Unless you want to completely discredit the Catholic church even though without them Christians wouldn't have a religion... (sorry.. rant.) And St. Nicholas was known for his secret gift giving. And nativities? Even though the Three Wise Men didn't go see baby Jesus together, nativity scenes are an important part of Christmas decorating. The cross hanging on my wall wasn't the actual cross Jesus was crucified on but it is a symbol to remind me of His sacrifices.
So I am all about saying, "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" but I'm also cool with a "Happy Hanukkah" too... or even "Happy Kwanzaa." Because the "Holidays" have gotten to be so chaotic and PC that we really need to celebrate each "Holiday" individually as it comes.
For me, Christmas is the birth of Christ and is an important season in the year and life of a Christian. And it is an important time to press the pause button on life and stop to spend time with family. These two are the meaning of Christmas, not those presents that you insist on buying.
No comments:
Post a Comment