Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ulster Project

Way back in 2003 I was introduced to the Ulster Project by hosting a teen from Northern Ireland. The whole intention of the project is to have Northern Irish Protestant and Catholic teenagers come to the US for the month of July in hopes of building relationships and peace when they return to NI. I LOVE this project and it's really opened up my eyes to the world (and taught me that there's so much more to this world than Eastern NC...)

In 2009 I served as an American Counselor for the kids and I've been on the Board since I was a teen host. Sooo it's really of no surprise that as soon as our life has settled down for a bit that we volunteered to host one of the Irish Counselors this summer. And boy oh boy did that keep us busy. The kids arrived June 24 and for four weeks they do service projects, fun trips, and worship together. It is as much of a learning experience for the Irish teens as it is the American teen hosts. This year's group was a lot of fun and we stayed busy keeping up with Barry (our guest for the month) and all the activities they had planned.

So the group left yesterday and now our home is all quiet again... except for the zoo we call Paisley & Lilly... but we really and truly enjoyed our experience with the Project again this year.

No comments: